If you're a pet owner, then you know that keeping your furry friend healthy is of utmost importance. One of the most important ways to keep him healthy is by vaccinating him against various diseases. We would like to look at why pet vaccinations are crucial as well as core vaccines for both cats and dogs.
Do you want to stay up-to-date with your pet's vaccines in Baltimore? Visit our veterinarians at The Village Vet. We'll work with you to create a vaccination schedule that's right for your pet. We also have an emergency vet if your pet needs urgent care.
Core Vaccines for Dogs
- Rabies: Rabies is a deadly disease that can be transmitted to humans, so it's vital to make sure your dog is up-to-date on the rabies vaccine.
- Canine parvovirus: This is a highly contagious virus that can cause severe diarrhea, vomiting, and dehydration in dogs. It's especially dangerous for puppies who are still developing their immune system.
- Canine distemper: Canine distemper is a virus that affects a dog's respiratory, gastrointestinal, and nervous systems. It can be deadly, so it's important to vaccinate your dog against it.
- Canine hepatitis: Canine hepatitis is a virus that affects a dog's liver and can be deadly.
Core Vaccines for Cats
- Rabies: As we mentioned, rabies is a deadly disease that can be transmitted to humans, so it's crucial to make sure your cat is up-to-date on the rabies vaccine.
- Feline panleukopenia: This is a highly contagious virus that can cause severe diarrhea, anorexia, vomiting, high fever, and dehydration in cats. It's especially dangerous for kittens.
- Feline herpesvirus: Feline herpesvirus is a virus that causes respiratory disease in cats.
- Feline leukemia virus: Feline leukemia virus is a virus that weakens a cat's immune system and can lead to cancer.
- Feline calicivirus: Feline calicivirus is a virus that causes respiratory disease in cats.
Contact The Village Vet in Baltimore for Pet Vaccinations
Your pet's health is important to us, which is why we offer a variety of vaccinations at our animal hospital. We also offer an emergency vet for those times when your pet needs urgent care. Call our team today at (410) 367-8111 or reach us through our website by using our online contact form for non-emergencies.